At our tax lawyer offices in Montreal, you can get the support of an experienced lawyer. Our office also provides staff members who speak French to ensure you get your questions answered.
What Is a Tax Lawyer and Why Do You Need It?
There are many different situations that might prompt you to need the services of a tax lawyer. When you find yourself in a complicated situation or have questions about your tax responsibilities, a Montreal tax lawyer might be the only person who can accurately answer those questions and give you an understanding of how various issues affect your individual or business situation. You need a tax lawyer if you are facing any kind of escalated or advanced tax related problem or if you want assistance with better understanding the tools and strategies available to you in relation to your tax situation.
Services: A Montreal Tax Lawyer for Businesses
We offer a broad range of services at our Montreal tax law offices. We have assisted businesses of all different sizes, whether it was with ongoing planning needs or with emergency assistance due to a tax dispute or a problem. Some of the tax services provided by our Montreal office include;
- CRA audits and unfiled taxes for assistance with coming into compliance and providing the appropriate documentation while also having advocacy on your behalf.
- Fighting the CRA when you believe that a misunderstanding, conflict or error has led to unnecessary penalties or tax assessments.
- Tax problems and representation so that we can step in immediately and offer possible solutions.
- Tax consulting and planning when you have questions about your company now and in the future.
- Business startup planning to gather advice and information prior to launching the company so that you can understand various tax repercussions.
- Tax reorganizations when you believe that you may need to alter the structure of your business for tax benefits.
- Business agreements so that you can recognize how various clauses may influence your individual or business-related tax obligations.
- Tax minimization to explore the various strategies available to you that could reduce the amount of taxes owed.
Services: Montreal Tax Lawyer for Individuals
Individuals can also benefit from the insight and experience provided by a Montreal tax lawyer. Our Montreal tax lawyers know that it can be challenging to find appropriate answers to your questions when exploring next steps and needs in terms of tax assistance. Whether you are looking to plan ahead for the long run or need immediate assistance with an ongoing tax issue, our Montreal tax lawyers are here to assist you. We provide individual tax services, including;
- Tax problems and CRA audits so that you have an advocate at your side to explain to you what is happening and how best to defend yourself in the midst of a problem.
- Estate, will, tax, and succession planning to identify different strategies available to you that could benefit you as well as your loved ones when transferring assets.
- To look at various tax shelters you are already using and whether these are still applicable to your individual situation or the use of new tax structures that you may not be aware of.
- Individual and family income tax planning, which may need to be adjusted as your family grows or changes.
- Voluntary disclosure so that you understand the various rights and responsibilities linked to the voluntary disclosure program in Canada and can understand how to proceed with it.
- Unreported off shore assets to identify whether or not you currently have off shore assets or are classified as a Canadian resident for the purposes of reporting requirements.
Why Hire Us?
There's a great deal on the line when you are in the process of figuring out next steps for yourself, your business or your family. Hiring someone who is inexperienced in tax law, who does not understand the possible implications of various tax decisions could end up costing you significantly and it is a mistake you cannot afford to make.
Schedule a consultation with our Canadian tax lawyers today who can help advise you about the best way to protect yourself going forward and how to ensure that you have committed representation from the beginning of the management of a problem or throughout the duration of your business and life.
Hire a tax lawyer in Montreal who knows the landscape, the laws, and the common mistakes that could expose you to greater tax liability or even penalties. The sooner you schedule a consultation with a trusted lawyer, the easier it is to plan for your future.
What is the difference between a tax accountant and a tax lawyer?
The main difference between a tax accountant and a tax lawyer is that tax lawyers focus on tax law and tax accountants focus on numbers and tax returns. Furthermore only tax lawyers have solicitor client privilege which means that CRA can seize your files from a tax accountants unless they have been retained on your behalf by a tax lawyer. Additionally if you have been charged with tax evasion only a tax lawyer can defend you.
How do you file taxes if you get divorced in the middle of the year?
If you get divorced in the middle of the year, your status changes at that point in time and you may start paying or receiving spousal or child support. If you pay spousal or child support, you may be able to claim deductions for those payments but the rules are complex.
Do I have to claim spousal support on my taxes?
The rules regarding spousal support are complex. Generally speaking monthly payments pursuant to a written agreement or court order art deductible and included in income. Lump-sum payments generally are not.
"These articles provide information of a general nature only. It is only current at the posting date. It is not updated and it may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor can it or should it be relied upon. All tax situations are specific to their facts and will differ from the situations in the articles. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer."